Animal House

Social Linkshell servicing the pet community of Final Fantasy XI (Fairy Server)

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

First Of Many Bst Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
itMFtis
World Serpent Slayer

Number of posts : 133
Pet Job : SMN
Level : 75
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: First Of Many Bst Questions   Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:26 pm

I just hit 23 bst. For soloing, should I fight with a jug pet and tank myself (probably blu or dnc subjob), or continue relying on charmed pets? I'd likely be fighting EP and DC mobs if just going with a jug pet.

How about your average joe xp party? Jug pet, charmed pet, or don't bother at all?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vean
Made of sugar and spice and everything nice

Number of posts : 17
Pet Job : BST
Level : 35
Registration date : 2008-10-23

PostSubject: Re: First Of Many Bst Questions   Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:07 pm

Jug pets tend to be much weaker compared to the native mobs in the area and don't last all that long. I only use my jug pet unless I'm in a tight spot and need a pet ASAP before an angry mob can pummel me to death. I really don't have much experience as BST to have much a say but try your idea of you tanking with the jug DDing if it works for you I say go for it.

As for PTing I have yet to do that as BST Sad and I would think you'd use a DD jug pet as the mobs you're fighting will most likely be uncharmable or T+.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kiyoi
Animal Trainer
Animal Trainer

Number of posts : 20
Pet Job : Beastmaster

PostSubject: Re: First Of Many Bst Questions   Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:12 pm

Gooood question. Honestly when it came down to using charmed pets and jug pets for soloing exp, I chose charmed pets. There is about 2 reasons why, most likely more but I'll only mention 2. For one charmed pets (DC-EM) are normally stronger then jug pets, I don't know why, maybe because SE just doesn't like BST too much or something. 2) Jug pets just cost gil to use, I would rather just charm and use pets for free other then spending on jugs that are not even as strong. (I guess this would also would apply to number one) Jug pets seem to have a harder time holding hate and snarl is not even useable till around 40 something (I think) so expect to get hit alot more. Of course charming pets has it's flaws, pets being too far apart, some pets being T, some pets has resist charm, and the biggest flaw that causes the most deaths while leveling BST is the misscharms. Oh yeah... those are fun, good times.. good times... There is the chance of your pets losing the charm affect which also kills you, but you can easily avoid that if your careful enough.

As for exp, jugs are pretty much the way to go unless you can find a pet around ya.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
itMFtis
World Serpent Slayer

Number of posts : 133
Pet Job : SMN

PostSubject: Re: First Of Many Bst Questions   Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:47 pm

Do you guys bother with a +INT set for tame?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Virtue
Dude, I'm a dude!

Number of posts : 36
Pet Job : BST
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: First Of Many Bst Questions   Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:21 pm

No, I never did. And over the course of leveling, I probably had Tame fail a half dozen times, tops. It's great for those "oh shit" moments when you fail a charm, but the long recast makes it not nearly as helpful as it could be. If I were you, I'd save inventory spaces you'd use for INT gear, and instead leave them open for farming all the random tihS you get when you xp on BST. Even if you're just NPCing them, it's easy money.

Relying on Tame isn't a good strategy imo. The general rule of BSTs is that you will fail every charm at the precise time when you can least afford to fail a charm. It's like the game knows you've got a link and your partner is AFK and you really, REALLY need this charm to land- then bam, it fails. Tame will save you sometimes, but most times you'll just eat tihS. Such is life for a BST, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfjorg
Sheep Moderator in Wolf Clothing

Number of posts : 136
Pet Job : Virginia
Level : BLM75/BST75/SCH75/WAR75/DRK75/THF75

PostSubject: Re: First Of Many Bst Questions   Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:42 pm

I never set an INT build for tame, just if it missed it missed oh well.

As for tanking with jugs bad idea, like was stated jugs are much weaker than the mobs in the area, and a charmed pet will do much better. CC doesnt shine till higher up when she can actually take a beating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Of Many Bst Questions   

Back to top Go down

First Of Many Bst Questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1